Randstad Metallurgical Engineer in Milwaukee, Wisconsin
salary:$70,000 - $90,000 per year
date posted:Monday, May 6, 2019
industry:Miscellaneous Manufacturing Industries
Permanent position: Randstad currently seeks a Metallurgist for a Direct Hire role. The hiring manager described the position as Metallurgist however the duties would be PPAP's for 75% of the time and Failure Analysis (and Corrective Action) the other 25% of the time. They would be working with and evaluating suppliers, from a metallurgical perspective. BS in Metallurgy, Metallurgical Engineering or Materials Science preferred, but candidates with other engineering degrees will be considered with relevant experience.
Responsibilities for the Metallurgical Engineer
Verify suppliers using PPAP confirming they have developed their design and production process to meet requirements, minimizing the risk of failure by effective use of APQP.
Perform root cause failure analyses and material investigations on mechanical components used in heavy manufacturing, power transmission and aerospace industries, including gearing, shafts, bearings, fasteners, chains, couplings, piping, brakes, crankshafts and connecting rods. Prepare detailed written reports of results.
Materials processing manufacturing support for manufacturing divisions, which requires a thorough understanding of heat treatment of steels, cast irons and stainless steel materials, as well as knowledge of material certifications, test methods and material property analysis skills.
Requirements for the Metallurgical Engineer
BS in Metallurgy, Metallurgical Engineering or Materials Science preferred, but candidates with other engineering degrees will be considered with relevant experience.
Experience in Production part approval process (PPAP) and Advanced product quality planning (APQP).
A strong mechanical aptitude and practical experience with ferrous metallurgy, coatings and composites and their related manufacturing and testing processes.
Scanning electron microscope operation and experience with failure characterization, coating composition determination and composite analysis is highly desired.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.